What Am I Missing Here?

by jmorris 9. March 2011 07:16

So I am trying to purchase VS2010 for home use, side projects, etc…I google VS2010 price and click on the first “relevant” result: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/professional

And click the “BUY NOW” link which opens:

image

Great $549 for VS2010, way to expensive but within the budget. So click on the link to purchase and this is what I am presented:

image

$799.00? WTF? But wait, full version $549.00 (my only option, really). And what do I see in the cart?

image

Fantastic….

Tags:

rant

Comments (5) -

Dave Robbins
Dave Robbins
3/12/2011 12:11:16 AM #

Mono = free

Free yourself from Intellisense. The Matrx is about one thing - control.

jeff
jeff
3/12/2011 3:37:44 AM #

Yeah, I know...mono is really beginning to take hold. I have been watching the monodroid project and some other mono tools and they look promising.

I ended up using VS2010 express for a project I am doing and it's working as a short term solution. I am actually impressed with VS2010 express...it's really the same shell as the regular VS2010, just no plugins - so there is no resharper, which sucks. Interesting that I was able to open my all my existing VS2010 solutions with express, that's not something you could do with the previous versions if I recall correctly.

Steve
Steve
3/15/2011 6:01:26 AM #

Wow.  Honestly, I'd never buy VS out of pocket at that price.

That is way too much money.

Stick to Express for side projects  Smile

I'm waiting for Jetbrains to do an IDE at some point, I'm a resharper fan

Steve
Steve
3/15/2011 6:02:24 AM #

That said, did you ever figure that one out - that is crazy !

jmorris
jmorris
3/16/2011 12:08:56 AM #

Nope, I think it was just a bug or something...I am more than surprised with express. I truly hated the earlier versions because they were so different from the _real_ VS. Only bummer is no plugins, so no resharper, etc. Frown

Jeff Morris