Table of Contents
- The Power of Come Bets in Craps: A Comprehensive Guide
- Understanding Come Bets
- The Advantages of Come Bets
- Strategies for Success
- 1. Take Advantage of Odds Bets
- 2. Use a Progressive Betting System
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Can I place a come bet during the come-out roll?
- 2. What happens if the shooter rolls a 7 after I place a come bet?
- 3. Can I remove a come bet after it has been placed?
- 4. Are come bets suitable for beginners?
- 5. Can I place come bets in online craps?
Craps is a thrilling and fast-paced casino game that has been captivating gamblers for centuries. With its unique combination of luck and strategy, craps offers players the opportunity to win big and have a great time while doing so. One of the most popular bets in craps is the “come bet,” which can be a powerful tool in a player’s arsenal. In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of come bets in craps, providing valuable insights and strategies to help you maximize your chances of success.
Understanding Come Bets
Before diving into the intricacies of come bets, let’s start with a basic understanding of the game of craps. Craps is played with two dice, and players place bets on the outcome of the roll. The game is divided into two main phases: the “come-out” roll and the “point” roll.
During the come-out roll, the shooter (the player rolling the dice) aims to establish a “point” by rolling a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10. If the shooter rolls a 2, 3, 7, 11, or 12, the round ends, and a new come-out roll begins. Once a point is established, the game moves to the point roll phase, where the shooter tries to roll the point number again before rolling a 7.
A come bet is a wager that can be placed at any time during the point roll phase. It is similar to a pass line bet, but it is made after the point has been established. The come bet wins if the shooter rolls the point number before rolling a 7, and it loses if the opposite occurs. If the shooter rolls a 7 before the point number, the come bet is pushed, meaning it neither wins nor loses.
The Advantages of Come Bets
Come bets offer several advantages that make them an attractive option for craps players. Let’s explore some of these advantages:
- Lower house edge: Come bets have a lower house edge compared to other bets in craps. The house edge for come bets is only 1.41%, making them a favorable option for players looking to maximize their chances of winning.
- Flexibility: Come bets can be placed at any time during the point roll phase, allowing players to join the action even if they missed the come-out roll. This flexibility gives players more opportunities to place strategic bets and potentially win big.
- Multiple come bets: Unlike pass line bets, players can have multiple come bets active at the same time. This means that players can increase their potential winnings by placing multiple come bets on different point numbers.
Strategies for Success
While come bets offer favorable odds, it is essential to employ effective strategies to maximize your chances of success. Here are some strategies to consider:
1. Take Advantage of Odds Bets
One of the most powerful strategies in craps is taking advantage of odds bets. An odds bet is an additional wager that can be placed alongside a come bet. It is a bet with no house edge, meaning the casino has no advantage over the player. By placing an odds bet, you can increase your potential winnings and reduce the overall house edge.
For example, if you have a come bet on the number 6, you can place an odds bet behind the come bet. If the shooter rolls a 6 before rolling a 7, both your come bet and odds bet will win. The payout for the odds bet varies depending on the point number, but it is typically higher than the payout for the come bet.
2. Use a Progressive Betting System
Another strategy to consider when playing come bets is using a progressive betting system. A progressive betting system involves adjusting your bet size based on the outcome of previous bets. One popular progressive betting system is the “Martingale” system.
The Martingale system works by doubling your bet after each loss and returning to the original bet size after a win. For example, if you lose a come bet of $10, you would then place a come bet of $20. If you win the next bet, you would return to a $10 bet. This system aims to recoup losses quickly and potentially turn a profit.
However, it is important to note that progressive betting systems carry risks. They require a significant bankroll to withstand potential losing streaks, and there is no guarantee of success. It is crucial to set limits and gamble responsibly when using progressive betting systems.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I place a come bet during the come-out roll?
No, come bets can only be placed during the point roll phase. If you want to participate in the come-out roll, you can place a pass line bet instead.
2. What happens if the shooter rolls a 7 after I place a come bet?
If the shooter rolls a 7 after you place a come bet, your bet is pushed. This means that your bet neither wins nor loses, and you can leave it on the table for the next roll.
3. Can I remove a come bet after it has been placed?
Yes, you can remove a come bet at any time before it is resolved. Simply inform the dealer that you want to remove your come bet, and they will return your chips.
4. Are come bets suitable for beginners?
Yes, come bets are a great option for beginners. They offer favorable odds and are relatively easy to understand. However, it is always recommended to familiarize yourself with the rules and strategies of craps before placing any bets.
5. Can I place come bets in online craps?
Yes, most online casinos offer come bets in their craps games. The rules and payouts for come bets are the same as in traditional brick-and-mortar casinos.
Come bets are a powerful tool in the game of craps, offering players the opportunity to win big with favorable odds. By understanding the mechanics of come bets and employing effective strategies, you can enhance your craps experience and potentially increase your winnings. Remember to take advantage of odds bets, consider using a progressive betting system, and always gamble responsibly. With these insights and strategies in mind, you are ready to roll the dice and enjoy the excitement of come bets in craps!